All the individuals who don’t have any sponsorship by an employer, a state or territory, or a family member are eligible to apply for this visa. With this visa, individual can live and work permanently anywhere in Australia and eligible family members can be included in your application. This is a permanent visa and allows visa-holders to remain in Australia indefinitely with full work rights. The Skilled Independent Subclass 189 visa replaced both the offshore Skilled – Independent Subclass 175 visa and the onshore Subclass 885 visa in 2012-2013. To be able to submit a valid application for this visa you need to first submit an Expression of Interest through SkillSelect. You can do this in or outside Australia.
Applications are by invitation only, to be invited for this category, Individual must:
- Have Experience in a nominated occupation within Australia’s Skilled Occupation List ; AND
- Have a skills assessment with the Relevant Assessing Authority for that occupation
- Submit and EOI (Expression of Interest)
- Be older than 18 and Less than 50 years of age when the invitation is issued
- Meet General Skilled Migration Basic Requirements, including English Language, Health and Character Checks
- Be able to score at least 60 points
if you are invited to apply for this visa, you will then have 60 days in which to submit your online application. Your invitation letter will explain the process you should follow. Invitations are based on claims made in your Expression of Interest at the time you are invited to apply. Your application must reflect the information provided in your Expression of Interest, and be supported by relevant evidence.
Mentioned family members can be included in the application as dependent:
- Applicant’s or Partner’s dependent child
- Applicant’s or Partner’s dependent relative.
Priority processing arrangements apply to this visa. They determine the order in which Australian immigration considers applications regardless of when they have been submitted. To find out more about the priority processing arrangements Australian immigration has in place, please see our Priority Processing page.
This visa allows you and your accompanying family members to:
- live and work permanently in Australia
- study in Australia
- enrol in Medicare, Australia’s scheme for health-related care and expenses
- access certain social security payments
- apply for Australian citizenship (subject to residency criteria)
- sponsor family members for permanent residence.