This visa is for the individuals who are in a genuine relationship (interdependent) with an Australian Citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen and wish to enter and remain permanently in Australia, you will need to obtain an Interdependent Partner visa. This provision includes same sex couples.
You may apply for an interdependent Partner visa if you:
- Are in an interdependent relationship with an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
- Have been in this relationship for at least 12 months immediately prior to applying for the visa.
- Are able to be sponsored by your partner.
- Are in a relationship that is genuine and continuing and are able to provide evidence of this.
- Have a mutual commitment to a shared life to the exclusion of any spouse or other interdependent relationship.
- Live together, or do not live separately and apart on a permanent basis.
- You and your partner are over 18 when you apply.
Rules and Procedure
The interdependent visa may be applied from inside or outside Australia. If you are applying while you are in Australia you must hold a valid substantive visa. These are temporary visas. Once granted, they are valid for two years from date of application. If the relationship is still genuine and ongoing at the end of the two years, applicants may apply for a permanent visa.