Parents who wishes to join their children in Australia must be Sponsored by their legally resident Child. If you are the parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen you may be able to qualify for this type of visa if your child is willing and able to sponsor you. Please note that there are 1,000 places available for regular parent visas, and there is a long wait for this type of visa.
There are Two (2) Subclasses in the Parents Category:
- For parents residing outside Australia: Subclass 103 Parent (Migrant) visa
- For parents residing in Australia: Subclass 804 Aged Parent (Residence) visa
Generally, the following are the requirements for visas in the parent category:
- The applicant must be a parent of a child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.
- The applicant’s child must be settled in Australia (in most cases, lawfully and permanently resident for at least 2 years) and generally must sponsor the applicant.
- The applicant must meet health and character requirements
- The applicant must pass the balance of family test. That is, the number of children who are lawfully and permanently resident in Australia must be:
- Greater than the greatest number of children who are resident in any single overseas country.
- Greater than, or equal to, the total number of children who are resident overseas; or
- An Assurance of Support and an Assurance of Support bond (held for 2 years) must be provided. Lodgment of this bond is not required until just before grant of a visa.